In this page:
WHY TO TAKE ACTION
If you think we cannot continue with farming in unsustainable ways, which damage the environment and provide us with unhealthy food, please take action and write to your MP.
The Bill has three chances of being debated in Westminster:
- As a Private Member’s Bill in the Commons
- As a Ten Minute Rule Bill
- As a Private Member’s Bill in the Lords
The Private Members Bill ballot will be on 12th June 2014.
So please contact your MP now. Even if your MP intends to table another Bill at the ballot, you can still ask him/her to support the Agroecology Bill if tabled by another MP, so the numbers build up.
By asking for your MP support, they will have to make a choice, researching the issues involved. Even if the Bill does not get to influence legislation at this stage, the profile of agroecology would be raised in Parliament, and help us in our continued advocacy efforts.
HOW TO TAKE ACTION
It’s very easy to contact your MP. It only takes 3 steps!
- Go to http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ and enter your postcode: loads of information about your MP will appear on screen, including their topics of interest.
- Click on the icon “Send a message”. You can draft your own text or adapt the one we provide below. Please note identical messages could be blocked, so add your personal touch!
- Complete with your contact details so the MP can reply to you, review your text and away the message goes!
Draft Letter to MPs on the Agroecology (Food Security) Bill
I am writing to ask your support for the Agroecology (Food Security) Bill in the upcoming Private Member’s Bill (PMB) ballot.
It has been prepared to help produce a food and farming system able to meet the needs of today’s and indeed of future generations: resilient in the face of future uncertainties.
The current food production system is not resilient: supply chains are too long and lack transparency and the agricultural practices we have adopted are damaging our soils, wildlife and the environment, reflecting on the nation’s health.
Scientific advancement in farming applies ecological principles to food production, providing innovative, evidence-based answers to the concerns of many of your constituents – food security, climate change, flooding, droughts, biodiversity loss, public health and animal welfare.
Agroecology has been declared by a number of scientists (notably the UN/World Bank IAASTD researchers and those that followed in their wake) to be the best way to produce not just enough food to feed the growing world population, but the right food for human health – and without breaching the planetary limits.
The Bill proposes that the UK Government develop a strategy for achieving an orderly transition to sustainable agroecological methods of food production. It would apply to policies in England and to UK overseas policies as promoted by Defra, DFID and BIS.
I urge you to support the Agroecology (Food Security) Bill by:
- agreeing to put your name forward for the Private Members’ ballot once it opens
- adopting the Bill if you are lucky enough to be drawn high in the ballot
- attending readings of the Bill should it be adopted and tabled by another MP
A copy of the draft Bill can be downloaded at http://www.campaignforrealfarming.org/agroecologybill/ along with a number of briefings about the many issues covered by the Bill.
I look forward to hearing from you.
The Bill was drafted by the Agroecology Alliance and supported by:
- Campaign for Real Farming
- Compassion in World Farming
- Friends of the Earth England Wales and Northern Ireland
- Organic Research Centre
- Permaculture Association
- The Soil Association,
- War on Want
- World Society for the Protection of Animals
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
Should your MP choose to continue correspondence and raise issues, the short briefings available on the website are there to assist you. But please get in touch and ask us for any further help you need.
We would be very grateful if you could send us any replies you receive so we can build up a list of MPs who are and are not in support of the Bill.
Following the PMB ballot we will contact all MPs who are drawn in the top ten to ask them to adopt the Bill and publish more information on this website so you can continue to support the Bill.
info at campaignforrealfarming dot org